Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Monday, June 28, 2010 46 miles Sandpoint, ID

Due to such a short ride today (I know, that's a relative comment), we could be slow starting and a little lazy.  The ride, again, was beautiful along the Pend Oreille River and, except for two or three good climbs, the route was rolling hills and flats along huge fields of wild flowers, usually daisies or some kind of small yellow flower.  Leaving Bear Paw Camp, we had a cool, delightful 10 miles to Newport where we crossed over into Idaho.  That, as many of you know, means Margaritas tonight!  Then, one steep climb to acquaint us with our new state.  While pulling that hill I received a phone call and message.  When I stopped to listen, I was privileged to witness a deer cross someone's driveway and begin grazing on the side of the road.  I know that deer can be a nuisance, but no one can deny that they are a beautiful nuisance. . .Later on, an 8 % downhill proved to be easy because it was short and straight; I sure wouldn't want to do it in reverse!

As we approached  Sandpoint, we  had a 5.5 mile bike path that ran along side U.S. 95 which was extremely busy.  The path seemed to run out at the bridge crossing the P-O River.  At that point I merged onto 95 and rode across the bridge on the shoulder when I should have taken the old bridge road which is now a walking/bike path over the river.  Oh, well. . . I was by myself and not paying close attention.  Getting into Sandpoint about 11:30, it wasn't until 3:30 that I could get into the hotel room.  So, I located a bike shop that turned out to have an excellent mechanic who took care of a shifting issue which I've dealt with for 2 days. Penny, Peg and I found a very good Mexican lunch which included a 'cold one' for me.  This has been a very hot day - unseasonably so for Sandpoint.  We're here for two nights before crossing another state line into Montana.  Sandpoint is in that very narrow part of northern Idaho.  474 miles thus far and having a wonderful time!

Here's a few more pics from Bear Paw Camp, including some of us demonstrating The Beaver Song.  That's Jane S. pulling her bags from the cabin, and Jean and Juani entering Idaho.  Enjoy. . .  BTW, thanks so much for the sweet comments about my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment