Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sunday, June 27, 2010 81 miles Bear Paw Camp, WA

Another pristine day and wonderful day of cycling. After climbing out of the town of Colville, we encountered a few doable but long climbs before riding 40 miles or so along the gorgeous Pend Oreille River (pronounced pon-der-ray). It’s quite wide and meanders for miles. Lots of summer cabins and motor homes along the river bank; also lots of cabins and homes were sale. Considering the climbing we’ve been doing, today almost seemed like a day off. Most of the route was relatively flat or rolling, good road and no traffic – perfect cycling conditions. A beautiful portion of the ride was through a green, meadowland that is part of the Kalispel Indian Reservation. We saw a herd of bison and a llama and I got a few pictures of interesting yard art. I drafted the last 40 miles with Peg and Penny.  In my book, Penny is Wonder Woman, for she has overcome serious health issues to be here. This is our third trip together, and I’m so glad she’s here for this tour. . . . Just about all the group stopped for lunch at The Cabin Grill, the only services on the entire 80 mile was. For me, coffee hit the spot w/my pb&j. We’d been riding since 7 am; was good to have such a pleasant place to stop. . . . Seventeen miles into the route, our SAG wagon was parked at Chrystal Falls – a really beautiful water fall just off the road. I hope my pics turns out; just wish I could record the sound to go with it. The noise was thunderous. Tonight we’re staying at Bear Paw Camp, a beautiful, 4 H camp that seems to be far away from civilization, but probably isn’t. Think Camp Pratt, Gwynn Valley, Bratton-Green. We’re surrounded by heavily wooded semi-mountains and a huge lake which may be an off shoot of the Pend Oreille River. Soon after arriving at Bear Paw, each lady was given a 36 gal. leaf bag that contained bed linens, pillow and towel. We brought our own soap. Then, we each had to find a bunk in one of the many eight bunk cabins. I settled into a small room in a large cabin and have bath facilities just across the hall – luxury in the midst of rustic. I’ve hung out my bike clothes to dry on a rail fence. Linda has put out snacks and Michelle (WT) is treating us to free sodas, beer or wine to make up for the rustic lodging. Dinner is to be camp food – hot dogs, hamburgers, Linda’s famous Mac ‘n Cheese (see May ’09 issue of Bicycling Magazine). This beautiful place has got to be one of the loveliest stops of any WT trip. Well, I hope ya'll enjoy the pics.  Be glad when I learn to place them where I want them and not where blogspot wants them.  :))

No comments:

Post a Comment