Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 2, 2010 0 miles of 59 Whitefish, MT

As predicted rain came last night and continued on and off all day. I left the room ready to ride, but when I saw that most of the group was dressed in regular clothes, I changed my mind. As it turned out 14 of us rode to Whitefish in the van with our bikes anchored on top. Arriving about 10:30 at the Best Western, we were allowed to store our bikes and bags in a large conference room because our rooms would not be ready before 1:00 pm. Several of us then got a lift back to town where we went first to Glacier Cyclery for one item - a Going To The Sun jersey. I also bought a pair of matching socks. I'm sure we'll ride on Monday whether it's raining or snowing. Everyone wants to do this special and challenging climb. We then found a good place for lunch called LouLa's, and then it was time for a stroll on Main Street. Fortunately, this is the weekend for a large arts festival. Jean, Judy and I each made small purchases and enjoyed talking to the vendors. Also, we could stand in one of the tents when the rain came. Walking back through the residential area, we enjoyed many of the old cottage homes that have been rehabed into charming homes. As we got closer to our hotel, the bikers began passing us. They were wet and cold having been in several downpores during the 59 mile ride. I was so glad I hadn't ridden!


My friend Patsy Cloud picked me up about 3 pm, drove me around Whitefish and by beautiful Whitefish Lake where her children and grandchilden enjoy swimming and playing. I love where Patsy lives in Kalispell and she's so happy here. We enjoyed one of her delicious meals for dinner and a good visit. Patsy and I have been friends since about 1969 when our husbands both worked in downtown Memphis and ran into each other on an elevator in the building where they worked. They hadn't seen each other since they were in high school together in Oxford, MS. Small world... . Patsy and I are Delta Gamma sisters from different schools.

On Saturday Patsy took me shopping for warm glove liners. I haven't been able to find mine, but, of course, I did finally find them after I bought another pair. Fortunately, the new ones were on sale and only cost $1.99. I also found a few clothing items on sale. Since I brought minimal clothes on this trip, I'm looking forward to having a change during the next few weeks. :)) After lunch we drove to Big Fork which is on the North side of Flathead Lake which is 27 miles long. Unfortunately, today produced some hard rain and lots of low clouds, making the mountains almost impossible to see. I'm concerned that my friends got plenty wet biking from Whitefish to Lake McDonald Lodge. Patsy and I picked up her grandchildren late this afternoon. They will be with her for a week, and I'm really glad that I had a chance to spend time with Toth and Kalli.

No comments:

Post a Comment