Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Wednesday, July 8, 2010 65 miles Chester, MT

Today's ride was like a nice Sunday afternoon ride - straight east on US 2 along a basically flat but also rolling hills through pasture land, meadows, fields of wheat, and perhaps potatoes. Along the side of the highway we passed lots of grain elevators, abandoned farm houses and out buildings and total wide open spaces. The highway ran along side the railroad track that seems to go from Chicago to the west coast. Several long cargo trains passed by. At some point I couldn't help but start singing "Home On the Range". . . . Some of us stopped for coffee at a very nice expresso shop about 20 miles out.  I'm including a pic of one of the white crosses that are all along MT highways.  They represent highway fatalities and are quite sobering.  Also, there's a picture of me that's supposed to show off my GTTS jersey.  

In 63 miles, I only saw one large and very nice home. So, I wonder who owns all the land. . . A nice tailwind kept us moving along a good rate of speed. Almost without trying I averaged almost 15 mph. Believe me, we weren't hurrying to get to Chester. With a population of about 800 (info from the librarian), there isn't much here, but the main street has all the usual businesses - cafe (Spuds), drugstore, feed store, hardware AND a very nice library with the usual very friendly staff. Since the MX Motel doesn't have wi-fi, several of us are here using the library's computers or our own. Speaking of the latter, I sure am enjoying my little Acer - except for the over sensitive mouse. . . . The MX might be considered as 'shabby chic' with lovely owners. My room is up an outside and very steep staircase, down the hall and on the right. It's a suite of 2 bedrooms with bath and full kitchen facilities. Fortunately, Linda is preparing a delicious supper. We're even having margaritas tonight to celebrate the halfway point of the trip, and (I think), halfway across Montana (think Texas on the ST). Will close now and try to add a few pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment