Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 5, 2010 21.4 mi. Going to the Sun St. Mary, MT



Today was the day that we've all been anxiously awaiting - the Going to the Sun ride (GTTS). Most of bought the jersey in Whitefish, so we've GOT to do the ride. This is the route that goes over Logan Pass from approx. 3200 ft. to 6664 ft. The top is also a spot on the Continental Divide. Our clocks were set for 5 am; some heard it raining at 4:30. Thankfully, the rain stopped and we enjoyed a good breakfast of hard cooked eggs and hot oatmeal and coffee. Barbara Minnick, our one recumbant cyclist left camp at 5:45, determined to get to the top before 11:00 (she made it at 10:45 - yea!). Bicycles are not allowed between 11 am and 4 pm. So, actually, everyone felt "under the gun" to start out early. I think I left close to 6:30 and made it to the top at 9:30. We were encouraged to wear as much warm gear as we owned plus raingear and to take a change of clothes or extra dry shirt to put on at the top for the ride down. Since the morning was not too cold, I had to stop early on and put on fingerless gloves and remove two windbreakers and arm warmers. I still had on leg warmers and my rain jacket. The beginning 10 miles were relatively flat and easy. At mile 11, we began a steady, round and round climb for 10 long miles. The entire route was two narrow lanes with no shoulder; sometimes the road was dirt in the spots where crews were working. Personally, I didn't find the climb too difficult - just very long. I got in my granny gear and just stayed there - even left myself one gear on the rear for an emergency that didn't happen. I stopped at most of the turnouts to drink water, stand down, and take a photo. These quick breaks really helped me preserve my energy. The wind picked up a little at the top and the temperature seemed to plummet. I nearly froze during the photo session. Then I hurried into the unheated Visitor Center, ate my sandwich, added back the windbreakers plus my fleece, glove liners and warm biking gloves. By then, though, I was thoroughly chilled and shaking (no heat in the VC). It had started to rain, and I could hardly see my hand in front of my face due to the heavy cloud cover. Under those circumstances, and also because I really don't relish steep downhills, I made the decision to take the park bus down the mountain to St. Mary's Visitor Center. I watched my friend Jean disappear into the cloud as she began the descent. Although the sun came out when we got below the clouds, the air was still quite cold, and the road was full of potholes (winter ice and snow are not kind to these roads). My bike road on the front of the bus and I thawed out inside. There actually were 3 of us, but everyone else braved it and got down on their bikes. My hat is off to them!

Once at St. Mary's Lodge (about noon), we all had to wait until 4 o'clock to get our rooms. Fortunately, the reception rooms were filled with comfortable furniture. I napped on a rawhide sofa in front of a warm fire. . . . Linda prepared the perfect cold night supper - split pea soup, a fantastic salad and several delicious pies. Since it doesn't get dark until after 10 pm and we are getting a late start tomorrow, I'm getting in bed now to read some more of FEARLESS FOURTEEN, one of Evanovich's humorous stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment